K9 Redden Memorial Disaster Dog Training Scholarship
April 9, 2015 - June 1, 2017
On June 1, 2017 Search & Rescue K9 Redden was found struck by a vehicle, ending his search career much too soon. To honor his memory, Calvary Canine created the K9 Redden Memorial Disaster Dog Training Scholarship to support Search & Rescue K9 Teams and their important training.
What does the scholarship provide?
The scholarship covers training registration fees and alleviates some of the financial burden of participating in essential training away from the handlers home training site.
- Up to $500 towards the registration fee
- Travel, lodging and meals not included
Click HERE to learn more about the scholarship application.
Scholarships must be used for events occurring within 1 year from the application deadline. Notifications will be made within 30 days of the application deadline.
2017: December 31
2018: March 31, June 30, September 30, December 31
How does the scholarship support search dogs?
The average volunteer Search & Rescue K9 handler spends approximately $10,000/year on the training and care of their partner. They do this with little to no support from the government agencies that employ their special skills. They do this work simply for the opportunity to help their community in time of need.
WHy is Travel Training so important?
- Search & Rescue dogs must learn that a person could be trapped under the rubble in need of their rescue in any location, at any time. These trainings help ensure the dog's success in locating victims of man-made and natural disasters.
- Handlers gain the necessary skills to efficiently manage all the challenges presented in a deployment.
- These trainings offer the only chance for a K9 team to participate in real-world scenario training searches.
How to apply
Download the Application Guide for detailed information.
Check out prequalified trainings you can apply for. We also welcome applications for events not listed on the calendar that meet the requirements.
[Have a training you want to share with our applicants? Email us the details.
This scholarship is made possible by the generous contributions of donors who understand the importance of these special dogs.
Join us in supporting the life-saving work of Search & Rescue dogs.
Read our blog series on the valuable ways travel training helps save lives.